Modifications to the Knosti clamp.
After cleaning many records with the Knosti Disco-Antistat the one problem that stands out is the ingress of fluid onto the record labels.
The Knosti clamp can sometimes leak, the fluid may then leave tide marks on the label, with the colour leaching out into the cleaning fluid.
Over a period of two years my modifications to the clamp have improved the performance to such a degree that the problems have almost entirely disappeared. The ingress of fluid is quite often due to the label being clamped on its edge.
The clamp is tightened against the protruding edge of the label, thereby allowing the fluid to soak into the label.
My modifications include a larger clamp area coverage from 100mm diameter to 102.5mm diameter, this extra coverage allows for most just-off-centre labels to be covered, unfortunately some badly skewed labels can not be entirely covered.
The protruding edge is removed from the Knosti clamp and a LDPE (low density polyethylene) cap is glued on with a special glue.
The LDPE cap is a soft, pliable material that helps the clamp adapt to the vinyl record and gives the clamp a much better chance of resisting any leakage. The edge of the LDPE is 1mm wide, very flat and polished to improve the seal; tests show this to be very important.
Every clamp seal is checked with a magnifying glass before despatch and comes with a three year guarantee.
After cleaning many records my results are 99.9% positive - PROVIDED that the label is not too much off centre.
CAVEAT: Clamped records that have a label which is visibly and obviously off centre will almost certainly have ingress of fluid into the label. Records that fell into this category were not included in the results.
1. Threaded section of the clamp has been removed (spindle thread is left untouched) and replaced with 'chemical metal' that has been moulded to the shape of the thread on the spindle. This alteration means that the clamp can be done up tightly and gives a better seal with negligible chance of damaging the thread.
2. Embossed arrow has been removed and the face of the clamp polished. The embossed arrow is removed because it grinds into the side of the plastic bath.
3. Clamp is narrower, this gives more lateral movement (about 2-3mm). Extra lateral movement accommodates warped records and gives warped records an even brushing over a larger area of the vinyl.
4. Red and white dots are painted into shallow dips drilled into the plastic, dots are on one side of the clamp and opposite one another.
a. Know which way around the clamp is
b. Count how many revolutions the record has been turned
c. Soak a pre determined section of a record if that section has particulates that are stuck in the grooves
thereby easing the particulates out from the groove (does not always work but worth a try!)
5. Spindle is glued to the side of the clamp instead of using the 'push and click' fit, this gives a more stable and secure clamp with less chance of the clamp coming apart while doing-up or undoing.
'Click' on link for pics/diagrams/pricing:
© copyright MAF Products 2010 - 2018
This modification to the Knosti clamp is my own design and NOT a modification by Knosti